A baby is left blind in one eye after a family friend forgot to turn off the flash while taking a close-up photograph.
These days, many smartphones are equipped with a small, bright white LED.
Which also functions as a flashlight for the camera when the natural lighting is insufficient when taking a photograph.
However, not everyone is a fan of this feature as the blinding, strong flash often leaves most people’s‘ blind’ for a few milliseconds.
Even though the light from a standard flashlight cannot cause damage to the eyes, it is seriously to infants’ eyes.
The unfortunate incident is said to have occurred after a family friend forgot to turn off the flash while taking a close-up picture of him.
The baby’s parents noticed that there was something wrong with his eyes soon after the photograph was taken.
Due to the strong flash, doctors said that the baby suffered from reduced vision in his left eye and blindness in his right eye from the flash of the camera which was held less than 10 inches away from the three-month-old baby.
The ray is said to have caused permanent damage to the baby boy’s macula cells, the part of the eye where incoming light rays are focused.
For young toddlers and babies, their maculae are not fully developed until they are four years old, hence, why they are very sensitive to strong lights.
Experts have said that while babies will shut their eyes when exposed to light on reflex, just milliseconds of strong light can cause permanent damage.
They added that parents should be careful of strong bathroom lights when their babies are taking a bath.
It is not clear whether the family friend will face any legal action following the incident.
Your thoughts on this?